Subscribe:

Wednesday, 17 October 2012

All that Glitters is not Gold




These days there is 'bling' everywhere.  We have clothes with bling, jewelry with bling, finger and toe nails with bling, makeup, hair products, the list goes on and on.  But one thing is for sure, kids, they love sparkly things.

I found these recipes , and to make these safe, they have non-toxic versions.

There are two different type of non-toxic varieties.  The first one is simply Non Toxic Cake Decorators Glitter range which is edible but not digestible but simply passes through our digestive system.  The second one is Edible Silk Range which is a completely edible such as lustre dust or rainbow dust. 

  1. The first recipe I am going to share is making edible metallic glitter.
1/2 tsp. Gum Arabic
1/2 tsp. hot water
1/2 tsp. edible metallic lustre dust in any color of your choosing
Kitchen edible metallic dusts
Paintbrush- flat headed or pallet knife
Non-stick ovenproof sheet or silicone mat
Sieve or tea strainer

Mix the Gum Arabic ( I am not sure of this ingredient, have never heard of it and have no clue where to get this… if you know please leave me a comment), water and food dust together in a small bowl, it should look like thick paint.
Pour onto the non-stick sheet and spread the mix thinly using a paintbrush or pallet knife, you will find it separates into globules, this is perfectly normal.
Bake for about 10 minutes or until the mix is thoroughly dry and starting to peel away from the sheet.
Remove the oven and cool, then rub through a sieve or tea strainer.
The glitter particle size you obtain depends on the mesh size used.

Store your edible glitter in a small air tight container ready for use.  To use, simply sprinkle the glitter on your dessert of choice as desired.



            2.  Non Toxic Glitter 

1/4 cup salt
1/2 tsp. of liquid food coloring
Baking pan
Tin foil

Mix salt and food coloring in a small bowl until the salt is uniformly colored.
Spread the mixture out in an even layer on a foil-lined baking sheet
Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for ten minutes. Allow your homemade glitter to cool before you use it.

You can store this in an airtight container for many months and can be used for almost any type of project and may even be mixed with glue for special crafts.

Thanks for stopping by,
Kylara

0 comments: