Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday 23 October 2012

Carpet cleaning the homemade way...


I have 2 dogs at home, and there are times that they leave me tracks upon my carpets or furniture on wet days.  It doesn't happen as often anymore but when it does I just hate to use those strong smelling cleansers every time.  Although I personally like the smell of clean, but not a heavy scent.



Below you will find recipes for steam cleaning, spot removal and deodorizing formulas. 

Steam Cleaning Solutions

  1. Combine equal parts of warm water with white distilled vinegar.  Add 1 tsp. of liquid castile soap and mix thoroughly.
  1. Mix together 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup liquid homemade laundry soap or bought laundry soap, and 1 gallon of water and add to carpet cleaner.  


Spot Removal

  1. You can use the exact same formula as 1. in the steam cleaning section but place it into a spray bottle.
  1. For tough stains, create a paste of 1/4 cup borax, 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar and 1/4 cup salt.  Rub into the stain and leave until dry.  Vacuum it up when thoroughly dry.
  1. Add 1 tsp. clear liquid dishwashing detergent to 1 cup of warm water.  Pour into a spray bottle and spray it on a damp rag and wipe stain.


Carpet Deodorizer

  1. Sprinkle baking soda on the carpet and leave overnight, then vacuum it up the next morning.  Baking soda absorbs odor.
  1. Mix 2 cups baking soda, 10 drops of favorite essential oil.  Sprinkle over carpet and let sit for 30-60 minutes.  Vacuum.

Hopefully you enjoy the recipes and your carpets are safe from future spills/messes .

Do you use homemade carpet products?  What are your favorite must have recipes?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You left me the most awesome response on September 27!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A month later I found you in my spam box - I'm following you back - looking forward to getting to know
you - hugs,
Suzan
( simply vintageous from Montreal )
XOX

Randi@SowderingAbout said...

I love the baking soda on the carpets. I haven't tried the EO in it yet, but the baking soda is great here in Seattle because everything eventually smells mildewy every now and then :)